top of page

Nurse Attempts to Kill Premature Baby FOUR TIMES. Smiles at Grieving Mother When She Succeeds!

We're often taught that the bad guys are the creepy people in white vans or the strangers who lurk in dark alleys but, oftentimes, they're the friendly mail carrier, the nice old man down the street or the smiling nurse.

Multiple families in the United Kingdom are reliving years old trauma this week as the person responsible for the death of their babies stands trial.

Lucy Letby, a former neonatal nurse, is charged with 22 counts of murder and attempted murder, involving 17 babies, and is alleged to have gone on a year-long killing spree at the Countess of Chester Hospital between 2015 and 2016.

Letby vehemently denies murdering five boys and two girls and attempting to murder another five boys and five girls but, the evidence is against her.

Prosecutors told the court about Children O and P - two of three triplet boys who Letby allegedly murdered.

Child O died within a few minutes of Letby entering the neonatal unit, at a time when Letby was alone in his room.

Following his death, he was found to have severe liver damage beyond that expected from the CPR he had undergone.

Nick Johnson KC told the court that independent medical experts concluded the damage was "likely the result of some impact trauma".

"In brutal terms, an assault," the prosecutor said.

A consultant at the hospital said he was "particularly concerned" about Child O's death because he had been "clinically stable" beforehand.

"Cold-blooded" Lucy Letby tried to kill one "resilient" newborn girl four times "before succeeding", the court was told.

Letby was also questioned by police about why she had sent a sympathy card to the baby's parents.

She had said this was the only time she had done it, "but it is not often the nurses got to know a family as well as they had known Child I's."

Following Child I's death on 23 October, Letby asked her parents if they wanted to bathe their baby daughter.

Mr. Johnson told the court as the baby's mother "bathed her recently departed child, Lucy Letby came into the room and in the words of the mother was 'smiling and kept going on about how she was present at Child I's first bath and how much Child I had loved it'."

An independent medical expert concluded the "constellation of findings would strongly indicate Child I died due to unnatural causes".

By the time Child L was attacked, in April 2016, doctors at the hospital had grown suspicious of Letby.

"By this time Letby was supposed only to be working day shifts because the consultants were concerned about the correlation between her presence and unexpected deaths/life-threatening episodes on the night shifts," the prosecution told the court.

One consultant walked in on Letby trying to kill Child K after he had grown concerned about the baby being left alone with her, the prosecution said.

The consultant began to feel "uncomfortable" when he realised Letby was alone with the child "because he was beginning to notice the coincidence between the unexplained deaths/serious collapses and the presence of Lucy Letby".

When he walked into the room, he noted that the infant's breathing tube was dislodged.

"We alleged she was trying to kill Child K when the pediatric consultant walked in on her," Mr Johnson told the court.

There are countless other claims that say Letby was the one responsible for the death of other premature or sick babies. One child, who was born with hemophilia, a disorder that causes bleeding, was found screaming with fresh blood in his throat. A member of the hospital's neonatal respiratory team attempted to intubate that child but found his throat so swollen and bloody that he couldn't get a breathing tube down inside. That same member said that he had never heard a child that small scream like that before noting that it was "most unusual" for a "premature neonate to scream". Letby had been alone in the room with that child before the incident.

Although Letby continues to uphold her innocence, the families are holding out for justice. Her trials has been going on for three days and, according to the prosecution, could take quite a few more before jurors hear all of the evidence and both sides rest their cases.

It's really a shame that Letby was allowed to work among these babies for so long. We presume that the parents hold more than just her to blame.


Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
SSIY Skyscraper.jpg
Screen Shot 2024-04-19 at 8.42.29 PM.png
bottom of page