We don't know how many times we're going to have to say it but. . .
STOP LEAVING YOUR CHILDREN WITH EVERYBODY!
A 9-month-old baby is in intensive care today after she overdosed on heroin while in the care of a Pennsylvania woman. 32-year-old Sara Tate was arrested after police were called to her house for an "unresponsive baby" Tuesday around 2pm. Tate said that the baby, who isn't her child, accidentally ingested heroin while she slept.
TribLive reports that "Tate told investigators she left her daughter, 12, and sister-in-law, 10, to watch the baby so she could “take a nap” in a downstairs bedroom. The children were left unsupervised in a second-floor bedroom, according to police.
The two girls who had been watching the baby told investigators they removed a stamp bag from the girl’s mouth and took it to Tate. Police said Tate told investigators she confirmed the stamp bag contained heroin by “biting it in her own mouth” before flushing it down the toilet.
Tate told police she had last used heroin Monday, and that there also was suboxone in the house, police said.
In addition to the baby, police said five children younger than 12 were at the home. Police took the children into protective custody and brought them to Children’s to be medically evaluated, the complaint said."
Paramedics administered 2 milligrams of Narcan to the baby before rushing her to UPMC Children’s Hospital in Pittsburgh. The baby is in the Intensive Care Unit but is said to be stable. Police arrested Tate and she has been charged with aggravated assault, child endangerment, tampering with evidence and drug possession. She's being held on a $25,000 bond.
There is no word on whether or not Tate and the baby are related or where the child's mother was at the time.
This needs to be a lesson to parents everywhere. We have to stop leaving our children with just anybody.